1859 to early 1900's
Whirlpool Canada Inc. (formerly Inglis Limited) has a proud heritage in
Canada dating back to 1859. Founded by John Inglis in Guelph, Ontario,
the company first manufactured machines for grist and flour mills. In
1881, operating under the name John Inglis and Sons, the company moved
to facilities on Strachan Avenue in Toronto, Ontario. In 1898, following
the death of John Inglis, his son William assumed leadership of the
1935 to 1950
In 1935 the new Toronto Island Ferry was named after William Inglis in
appreciation of his significant contribution to the city's industrial
and cultural progress. Two years later, Major J.E. Hahn purchased the
company, obtained the right to use the name John Inglis Co. Limited and
made significant changes to the company's operations.
Under Major Hahn's leadership, the company assisted in the World War II
effort by manufacturing guns for the Canadian and British governments.
More than 17,800 people were employed at this time creating the need for
expansion at the Strachan Avenue plant.
When the war ended in 1946, the company began to manufacture consumer
products such as fishing tackle, house trailers, oil burner pumps and
domestic heaters and stoves. In the same year, John Inglis Co. Limited
negotiated with Nineteen Hundred Corporation (later Whirlpool
Corporation) to manufacture home laundry products. The wringer washer
was introduced in 1946, and in 1950, production of the automatic washer
1960's to 1970's
By 1966, Inglis had become the leading producer of domestic laundry
appliances in Canada. The company's strength in other consumer product
categories was also evident.
In 1972, Inglis produced its one-millionth automatic washer and began
manufacturing and selling appliances under the Whirlpool brand name. In
1973, the company began operating under Inglis Limited. During the late
1970s, Inglis Limited continued to grow by building a new warehouse and
sales and service facility in Laval, Quebec; expanding its automatic
washer manufacturing facility in Toronto.
1980's to 1990's
In 1981, the company moved its head office from Toronto to Mississauga,
Ontario. One year later it acquired certain assets of Canadian Admiral
Corporation, Ltd, and began manufacturing and selling under the brand
name Admiral. Whirlpool Corporation increased its ownership in Inglis
Limited to 71.6 percent in 1987.
Inglis introduced several new products during the late '80s. In 1985,
the microwave oven was launched; in 1986 production of dishwashers began
under the newly acquired brand name KitchenAid; and in 1987 a line of
energy efficient refrigerators was introduced. The KitchenAid line of
small appliances was expanded through the late '80s and 1990s to include
the legendary stand mixer, blender, food processor, hand mixer, toaster
and professional quality cookware.
2000 to Present
This decade so far has been an exciting one for Whirlpool Canada and its
employees. The company adopted a new corporate name and focused heavily
on building strong demand and unmatched loyalty for its brands by giving
consumers what they need and want. Whirlpool Corporation acquired Maytag
Corporation in 2006, increasing their portfolio of excellent brands, to
include Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Inglis, Roper,
The company’s strategy has been to take a consumer-focused approach,
while also building a culture that engages employees to think
innovatively in all aspects of the business. Several innovative products
have been introduced – such as the Whirlpool® Duet™ front-loading
washer, Maytag® JetClean™ II dishwasher with SteamClean option,
KitchenAid® Architect II™ Series induction cooktops, and Jenn-Air® Oil
The company has placed high importance on creating and promoting the use
of ENERGY STAR® qualified appliances to Canadians and has also built a
partnership with Habitat for Humanity, supplying a range and
refrigerator for every home built in the country.
Back to Top